Visa and Insurance Information

Temporary Resident Visas

To find out if you need a temporary resident visa to visit Canada, please select your home country from this list on the Canada Immigration and Citizenship website. It will tell you if you are from a visa-exempt country, or if you need to get a visitor permit.

Electronic Travel Authorization

eTA stands for Electronic Travel Authorization. The purpose of the eTA is to pre-screen visitors before they arrive at a Canadian airport. Travellers are asked to provide basic personal information similar to what is currently collected when they arrive in Canada. The only difference now is that Canada will know the answers to these questions before their arrival.

  • If you are from a visa-exempt country, and you do NOT need a study permit (because your stay in Canada will be shorter than six months, for example), you need to apply for an eTA.
  • If you are from a visa-exempt country and you are applying for a study permit, you will received an eTA automatically with your study permit.

Click here to find out if you need to apply for an eTA and to apply for the eTA online.

Study Permit

If you plan to study in Canada for more than 6 months, you will need to apply for a study permit. You can find all the information you need to apply for a study permit here.

To complete an application for a study permit, you must have a Letter of Acceptance from Sterling College. This letter can be provided after you have registered and paid for your English program. Your Letter of Acceptance will show the Sterling College Designated Learning Institution number (DLI): O19279828772. This number tells Canada Immigration and Citizenship that Sterling College on their approved list of institutions for international students / study permits.

Medical Insurance

You must have medical insurance while in Canada. We can arrange it for you through GuardMe insurance, if you wish. You will pay a daily fee for this insurance.

If you will be in Canada for more than 6 months, you must apply for the Provincial Medical Services Plan.

MSP (Medical Services Plan)

Who is Eligible?

An individual must be a resident of B.C. in order to qualify for medical coverage under MSP. A resident is a person who meets all of the following conditions:

  • Must be a citizen of Canada or be lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence;
  • Must make his or her home in B.C.;
  • Must be physically present in B.C. at least 6 months in a calendar year; and dependents of MSP beneficiaries are eligible for coverage if they are residents of B.C.

Certain other individuals, such as some holders of study and/or work permits issued under the federal Immigration and Refugee Protection Act are deemed to be residents, but tourists or visitors to B.C. do not qualify. If you are uncertain about your eligibility status, contact MSP for assistance.

When does Coverage Begin?

New residents or persons re-establishing residence in B.C. are eligible for coverage after completing a waiting period that normally consists of the balance of the month of arrival plus two months. For example, if an eligible person arrives during the month of July, coverage is available October 1. If absences from Canada exceed a total of 30 days during the waiting period, eligibility for coverage may be affected.

You should apply for MSP coverage immediately after arriving in B.C., rather than at the end of the waiting period, to allow time for your application to be processed.

DLI: O19279828772
DESIGNATED B.C. PTIB & Shield Design mark is a certification mark owned by the Government of B.C. and used under license.

Copyright © 2017 Sterling College. All rights reserved. Website design by Jessica Klassen.